Friday, January 9, 2015

4 Tips for Painting Everyday

Here I am in week 5 of my 30 day painting challenge and I've learned so much about the way I create. Painting everyday (or every other day) hasn't gotten any easier but I have fallen into a routine which helps me stress less and just get it done.  


Brainstorm - Sketch - Paint - Move On

Brainstorm - Although I'm following the 30 day list I created I still need to figure out how to make each painting my own.  Do I want to go abstract or realistic?  Should I use pastels or muted colors? Do I need reference photos or is this from my imagination?  I noticed in my previous art journals the same colors and ideas come up over and over because I wasn't painting from life.  Real life observations brings variety to your work.

#15 Abstract Purple flowers.
Sketch - I sketch with watercolor pencils.  They dissolve nicely under the acrylic paint and you can use a regular eraser as well.  If I'm doing a realistic painting I take my time sketching to get as accurate as I can.  I'm not reaching for perfection...it's not that kinda party.  I like when things are a bit off.

#16 Mason Jar and drinking glass.  I practiced on the right as I painted the left side.
Paint - This step takes long and longer each time.  It's good to stop painting and just let it sit for a few hours.  When I come back I can look at it with a new set of eyes.  If you don't like something change it.  For my umbrella painting, I painted over the background at least 3 times before I was happy.

#17 Umbrella of Hope.  Calm after the storm.
Move On - I learned in art school that a painting should have the whitest whites and the darkest darks (full range of values).  I don't always go by that rule but it does help me gauge where I'm at in the painting.  If I find myself painting highlights and/or shadows then it's about time to wrap it up.  Each painting is a bit different but the highlights are usually the last thing I paint.

#18 Mmmmmm...donuts!
I allow myself to feel like it's good enough so I can move on.

Hope this helps!  How do you keep your artwork fresh?  Sharing with Paint Party Friday, Art Journal Every Day, and Creative Every Day.

25 comments :

  1. You do some really good work. I love the umbrella painting! I just started learning to paint in April. I have been wanting to have more time at painting, however that really hasn't happened. I really need to make more time. It definitely is a stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any little bit helps. I work in a small journal so I don't get over-whelmed. Thanks for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. WOW! I love this! Just what I need to start doing. I love the mason jar one, such great tones and shading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work...those donuts look good enough to eat!! I used to paint in hs and college. You make me want to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! Those donuts are making me hungry, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I do not paint, but I am a photographer, and I like the ideas you shared here. Thanks and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing journal pages! The jar is impressing, colorwise the umbrella is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! ...And now I really want a donut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful art Danielle! I admire anyone that can draw a glass so well. Really great tips too. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goal is to work in my art journal once a week. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very talented! My daughter is a junior an planning on majoring in art in college. I admire those that can paint and draw, because I can't!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your paintings, particularly the umbrella with the lovely hightlights and doughnuts look like you want to pick one up and eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips and wonderful paintings...I particularly love the umbrella and donuts...They have the fun and whimsy I crave!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your paintings are so lovely, Danielle. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was extremely interesting with lots of good ideas. The suggestion to paint from real life rather than imagination all the time is a good one. And until I read Giggles's comment, I thought the donuts were real. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete