Monday, April 28, 2014

5 Ways to Complete Your Art Journal


Do you have unfinished art journals hanging around?  I often get comments from readers that they are unable to finish their journals.  Today, I want to share five things I like to do to keep my journal active.

1.  Paint in your background with one color and a few stencils.  I'm less likely to stare at a page when it's got some color and texture down.  Now you are ready for stamps, tapes, sprays, and journaling.


Here is the finished page.  You can't really see the background anymore but when I filled in my background it allowed me to get my creative wheels turning.  My idea was to create 
a clothes line of words I want to identify myself with. 



2.  Write a short, uplifting message to yourself.  I like to write things that make me happy and breathe hope.


3.  Keep it simple.  Your journal pages don't have to be complex.  Relax and pick one idea or emotion to focus on.  I created this page about moving to a new city and starting over.


4.  Travel with your journal.  Get up and take your journal outside or to the coffee shop.  You will be surprised at how quickly a page comes together when you are in a different environment.


5.  Leave it open.  I kept my journal open on a page I needed to fix and I finally couldn't look at it anymore!  So, I was forced to fix it.


I hope some of these tips help you complete your art journal.  Crack them open and create!

If you are working in your journal I'd love to see it - leave your link in the comments below.

Don't forget to share this post and visit my Facebook page.  See more of my art journal.

Linking to Paint Party Friday - Creative Every Day - Art Journal Every Day - Inspire Me Monday

2 comments :

  1. I am in love with your painting style, Danielle. Your art journal is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete